CPGR bioinformatician position for H3AbioNet project – October 2018
The Centre for Proteomic & Genomic Research (CPGR) H3AbioNet node seeks to hire a bioinformatician to join the team participating in the NIH funded H3ABioNet program at the CPGR. The H3ABioNet (http://www.h3abionet.org), led by the CBIO group at UCT, is an initiative with over thirty institutions across Africa to develop a Pan African Bioinformatics Network for the Human Heredity and Health (H3Africa) (http://www.h3africa.org/). The aim of the network is to build bioinformatics capacity in Africa and develop a bioinformatics support platform for H3Africa research projects.
Bioinformaticians with a strong interest in developing and applying tools for the generation and analysis of data on high-density genotyping microarray platforms are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and validation of data analysis pipelines and genotyping applications, predominantly associated with Illumina iScan technology. The candidate will be able to work independently as well as in conjunction with experts at CPGR and institutions in South Africa and Africa.
Job duties include but are not limited to
- Being part of the H3ABioNet helpdesk task force to assist with queries from H3A consortium members
- Assist with design, execution and analysis of H3A Illumina array based genotyping projects. Assisting with development, validation and documentation of array-analysis bioinformatics pipelines in an ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 17015 compliant manner
- Performing statistical analysis of human genomic data.
- Contributing to H3ABionet projects in the field of genomics e.g. data standardization and pharmacogenomics.
- Actively taking part in H3ABionet node activities include node accreditation, bioinformatics training and data analysis.
- Must have a MSc or PhD in either computer science, medical statistics, pharmacogenomics, pharmacology or health informatics
- A strong background in bioinformatics or statistics
- Practical experience with concepts in Next Generation Sequencing, Genotyping, Genome Wide Association analysis, SNP/Variant analysis
- Working knowledge of C/C++, Python, Perl and R. At least in 2 languages and analytical skills are essential
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in personalized genomics or personalized medicine is an advantage
About the CPGR
The CPGR is one of Africa’s first fully integrated ‘omics’ service provider, built to leapfrog South Africa’s ability to conduct information-rich biomedical research onto a globally competitive level. Amongst others, the organization offers the following ‘omics’ capacity: Next-Generation Sequencing: NextSeq500 (1x), MiSeq (1x), IonTorrent PGM (2x), IonProton (1x), for high-performance sequencing projects; Microarrays: Affymetrix GS 3000 and Affymetrix GeneTitan for genoytping and gene-expression analysis; Mass spectrometry: ABI 4800 MALDI-ToF/ToF and Thermo Q Exactive for MS-Proteomics; High-throughput PCR: ABI 7900 for qRT-PCR applications; Automated DNA/RNA QC, library handling and sample processing; dedicated IT infrastructure and bioinformatic applications for data analysis and interpretation.
The CPGR is a non-profit company based in Cape Town, South Africa, and based on an initiative by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), and financially supported by the Technology Innovation Agency (TIA), to boost the development of a bio-economy in South Africa. The CPGR combines state-of-the-art information rich genomic and proteomic (‘omics’) technologies with bio-computational pipelines to create unique solutions in the human health and the agri-biotech sectors. The CPGR has adopted a certified ISO 9001:2008 quality management system and is a BEE Level 2 contributor to economic transformation in South Africa. Information about the CPGR can be obtained at www.cpgr.org.za and www.cpgr.org.za/blogspot.
Interested candidates, stating the job reference H3AbioNet, should submit a short cover letter and C.V. together with the names and contact details of two referees to email@example.com by 23rd of October 2018. Only successful applicants will be contacted.