A position exists for a highly motivated Onion Breeder or Senior Onion Breeder who will be stationed in Oudtshoorn. Our onion breeding programme develops high quality onion varieties for local and international markets. The breeder’s primary responsibility will be to develop superior onion varieties for various markets around the world, emphasizing performance, agronomics and quality.
Job Functions: Research
Industries: Academic, Agriculture, Research, Science & Technology
- Parent line and hybrid development for global onion markets according to the company’s business, marketing and research plan.
- Improve efficiency and productivity of the breeding programme by optimizing the use and integration of new technologies with conventional breeding techniques.
- Work closely with our sales and marketing team to align breeding goals with current and future market needs.
- Prepare, implement and monitor budgets and operational plans.
- Manage, support and direct the breeding team personnel in accordance with the company’s corporate values, vision and safety.
- Ensure availability of required quantities and quality of basic/foundation seed.
- Manage accurate and detailed record-keeping and administration pertaining to the breeding programme.
- BSc Honours majoring in Plant Breeding or Genetics. (MSc or PhD in Genetics or Plant Breeding related disciplines an added advantage)
- At least 5 years’ experience in managing field based crop breeding programmes.
- In depth working knowledge of horticulture, agronomy, genetics, pathology, statistics, physiology and molecular genetics.
- You must also have the capability to lead and develop others, combined with advanced communication, interpersonal and relationship skills.
- Experience with other CMS crops will be an advantage.
Further information: Contact Daniela <email@example.com